Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Mrs. Sippy

I still remember being asked to spell "Mississippi" by one of my cousins. I spelled it "Mrs. Sippy". Pretty ingenious for a 5 year old, huh?

That story sprang to mind today as it is primary day in Mississippi. I believe that Obama will carry the state, which, in my opinion, puts another nail in the coffin that has Clinton's campaign in it.

I have done the math. It is virtually impossible for Clinton to overtake Obama in elected delegates. I went so far as to see how the count would come out were she to win every primary/caucus left with 60% of the vote - which is unlikely, but I wouldn't say impossible. Still, Obama comes out on top. The only way that Clinton would be able to top Obama in elected delegates with the remaining races is to win at least 4 remaining races with 65%. And then not lose any more. There has to be at least 50% of the vote her way in the remaining 7 after winning with 65% to take more elected delegates. Can we say statistical impossibility? She was once up 20 points in Texas. It was cut to 4 points. 65% is just not going to happen. Let's even say that Pennsylvania votes the way Ohio did. That's only 54%. 11 points shy of the magic number. If she wins EVERY race by 62% - she still falls short (by one delegate).

So Ms. Clinton I have this to say:

Hillary, it is time to throw in the towel. You CANNOT win. Accept defeat and concede. The party and the nation will respect you more. The dirty campaign you are running is not working. You seem to be more on board with the republicans and have all but endorsed McCain. Your pathetic olive branch of offering the VP spot to Obama is insulting and condescending. As Kenny Rogers sang, "you've got to know when to fold, know when to walk away." That time is now. Before any more damage is done.

1 comment:

Nia said...

DAMN YOU!! I will be singing that for days.