Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Is he or isn't he?

Into me that is? I have to say dating SUCKS. SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS and oh yes, SUCKS.

In the past year, I really haven't dated that much. I started dating someone at the beginning of last summer and he ended things when "something tragic" happened in his life. To this day I don't know what it is, but that was the story I was told and after that all communication has ceased. Before that, I had a string of bad dates or dates that didn't pan out due to me not really being interested and of course the call-back dates - the ones who really weren't great for being in a relationship with, but who were still around when I wanted to go out (or yes the booty call). But even the recalls ended before the summer semi-romance (I say semi because well, nothing happened more than hugging - after a month of dating!).

So I've been laying low when it comes to dating. I do still have a profile on a dating site. I am not paying for it, so I "disguised" my email address, hoping that someone intelligent would pick up on it. I figured, hey if someone would take the time to read my profile, take the time to figure out my email address, then they may be worth my time because obviously they have a brain.

Which brings me to what has happened recently. On Valentine's Day I get an email from a guy who saw my profile on while flipping through them with a friend who had an account. He read it, apparently liked what he read, and figured out my email address and proceeded to email me. He did not have an account on the site that I'm on, but said that maybe he didn't have to now that he saw my profile - that's how interested in me he apparently was.

We exchange emails for about a week and a half - loooooooooooooooong emails. And he asks me to meet him sometime soon. I agree to meeting him, and we met this past Saturday at 7pm. It wasn't supposed to be a late night because he had to work the next day. Well, it turned out to be a late night because we didn't end the date until after 1am. He even sent me an email when he got home saying he had a nice time and he wanted to see me again soon. I felt the same way. I had a great time, and I wanted to see him again as well. It's the first time since, well, this past summer, that I was actually looking forward to a second date. And it definitely seemed that he felt that way. I had never had someone email me immediately after a date to tell me what a good time they had. I thought I had actually found someone decent. But it seems I was fooled.

Let me backtrack a little here. During the course of the date, we were discussing, well, issues we had with the opposite sex, things that bothered us in the past. My biggest issue is communication. It seemed for a while I would go out with guys, think that everything was great (and we are talking about more than one date here and more than one date but not jumping into bed), but they would disappear. No more phone calls. I'm not the type to call over and over. I'll try one maybe two times and if I get no response, I'm done. I didn't tell him all of this, I just said how the lack of communication was frustrating. How guys are, well, pussies in the fact they just can't come right out and tell someone they don't want to see a woman anymore. His big issue, by the way, is trust.

But I digress. Taking into consideration my biggest pet peeve when it comes to dating and relationships is communication, anyone can see why the following irritates the hell out of me, and how it is clear I am going to remain single. Because there truly are no decent guys left.

So back to the story at hand. We meet on Sat. Things are great. He says he wants to see me again. I agree. He then asks about a place to go. I ask where or when.

And stop.

That's right. No response. Let me put this in perspective: Sat night - email stating he had a good time/let's meet soon Sunday morning - email stating I did as well/meeting soon sounds great. Mon morning - email asking about dinner. Mon evening - email response from me asking where or when.

But wait, it isn't actually stop. Because I DID get an email. TODAY. It was just TWO SENTENCES. Two sentences about the primaries last night. It is, and I quote, "Looks like Obama took one on the chin last night. This is going to go to the wire."

And let me just say. This email was in DIRECT response to mine because we made a joke about seeing how long of a chain of emails we could make off of his initial one (up to 22 by the way). So I know for a FACT he got mine.

WHAT the HELL?????? Okay, I would say that there was no interest if he had said "I'll call you" on Saturday night and that was that. But he made it a point to ask me what I was doing this week at the end of the night and said he wanted to meet up for dinner after work some night this week. (Yeah, for those keeping track - it's now Wed going into Thursday - I'm thinking BULLSHIT now) He also made it a point to ask in not one, but two emails after Saturday about dinner. Now I get NOTHING. Nothing but a two sentence email? No response to my email at all? The email from me wasn't just about dinner either. I had some witty stories and commentary that deserved a response. At least I thought so.

I did try to call him. Twice. Once last night - he had his phone off so I left a message. Once tonight and no answer and I didn't bother. So he didn't even comment on the fact that I had left him a message!!!!

All that keeps going through my mind now is the episode of Sex and the City where the now famous line "he's just not that into you" was first brought out into the public eye. The whole line of "if he's into you, he's coming upstairs, he's booking the second date". Well, there wasn't the invite upstairs on Saturday, but I definitely thought he was semi-booking the second date considering at the time neither of us really knew what day would work out best - but he DID ask.

I guess yet again I got my hopes up. I thought that maybe since he was hurt in the past (one of the things we talked about) he would at least know enough not to hurt someone else. Or else he truly has turned as bitter as his friends say and instead treats women like crap.

I know it's only Wednesday. But I refuse to believe the "something came up" because he took the time to write two sentences. It's not all that more time-consuming to write two more. Something like, "hey this week won't work out for dinner [insert whatever came up]. how about next week instead?" It took me about 5 seconds to write that.

So much for dating. There truly are no good single men left out there.

No comments: